Belonging

posted on: 8.31.2010



Nothing is more fulfilling than allowing God to use us to touch the lives of others. At the same time, there's nothing more draining. That is why it's so important to stay connected with God. I've heard a saying that says you can't give what you haven't received and that applies spiritually. I am a child of God first, and everything else after that (a daughter, sunday school teacher, youth leader, artist, niece, etc..).
God created you for himself. You were created to worship Him and know Him first. The reason we breathe today is to know Him.
I can testify to the tempting offer to be around the things of God and miss Him. We can slip into giving our Creator our leftover time which puts us in a vulnerable position, like the house built on the sand.
I was convicted to deactivate my facebook a couple of weeks ago. Facebook isn't bad, I just have a hard time being disciplined with my time. I would go in there to send someone a message and lose track of time. I was spending more time on Facebook than at Jesus' feet. I belonged to facebook, and even when I was fasting to break that stronghold, I heard God say to deactivate it and I disobeyed Him. It affected my relationship with Him. As I was reading the book of 1 John, the last thing John says is "Little children, keep yourself from idols". That pierced me. Facebook had become an idol, one I was giving my time and efforts to. We all sacrifice differently, and if Facebook isn't an idol in your life, God bless you. But it was one in mine and I had to get rid of it. Needless to say, my relationship with the Lover of my soul has been amazing since then! Obedience has it's reward. It may not be an instant reward, but when you wait for it, it gains more value to it's receiver. God is good. I'm making a priority to belong to Him, and Him alone. It will require discipline and practice, but I will be blessed for being faithful.

I love this blog. But in order to speak on behalf of Him here, I need to prioritize learning, memorizing, meditating and digging in His Word. I need to spend time in His presence without asking Him to bless, protect and give me. I need to spend time praying, or rather, I need to take time to pray. Not that I neglect it completely, but I seem to multitask praying and driving and I don't fully focus on God doing so.
I belong with Him. As a blogger, my responsibility is to hear what God wants me to write here, and that will happen as an overflow of my relationship with Him.

"The most important thing you can do for those you disciple is to walk with God." -Whitney Prosperi

Who do you belong to?

1 Smiles:

  1. Hi, very interesting post, greetings from Greece!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)
I read every single one.