The tree

posted on: 8.22.2011

But blessed is the man who trusts me, God,
the woman who sticks with God.
They're like trees replanted in Eden,
putting down roots near the rivers—
Never a worry through the hottest of summers,
never dropping a leaf,
Serene and calm through droughts,
bearing fresh fruit every season. Jeremiah 17:7-8
That is my tree. I am very proud of my tree for surviving yet another hurricane storm. It is missing a lot of branches, but nevertheless it is still there. This was home to many bird nests that, unfortunately, are non existent (I found a few on the street... broke my animal-caring heart in pieces). It may sound weird, but I prayed more for my tree than myself last night, as hurricane Irene passed over us. This tree means a lot to me. It was planted when my parents moved in as a newly married couple over 20 years ago. It blooms pink flowers in spring and the most beautiful melodies come from the birds that live there.

As this season keeps unraveling, I've endured many dark nights through the valley of weeping. God is still sovereign, and very much here, but "the school of life offers some difficult courses," as Corrie Ten Boom would say, "but it is in the difficult class that one learns the most —especially when your teacher is the Lord Jesus Himself."

This morning I was praying and just being real with the Lord, when I suddenly  opened my eyes and I saw a reflection in the mirror of my tree. He said I would be like that tree. That amidst suffering, trials and "storms", I would stand. Whatever burden that threatens to bend me will not prevail forever. I shall remain, He said. This too shall pass.

I thank God for my tree and for keeping me and my family safe. Prayers are welcomed, since I'm one of the blessed few with power and water. Life definitely gives you a perspective of what really matters when the basics are touched. When was the last time you worried about not having water? Or electricity?

Don't trust in yourself. Depend on Him.


{for those struggling with prayer, follow on twitter to get some helpful tips}

5 Smiles:

  1. Thanks for sharing, that's encouraging. I will be praying for those who experienced damage from the hurricane. I actually went on 2 seperate mission trips after Hurricane Katrina to help out with repairs and clean up, so i've seen first hand the damage that can occur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I have missed your blog so much! I am so blessed to have stumbled upon your blog back in December. I love this beautiful passage of scripture and the beautiful words your wrote. I will be praying for you (and your tree of course!) I am overwhelmed by all the blessings God pours down on us, even the comforting words that He will keep up standing in the midst of the storms. About a month ago I lost water and electricity for a few days. I learned to appreciate afterwards the simple blessings in my life that I can easily take for granted. Thanks for sharing, girl with a smile. Many blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all! Means a lot. Let's continue praying for those that are currently being battered by Irene (she's almost a category 4).

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your writing! so great.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)
I read every single one.